Discussing how dyslexia affects relationships
During our, Dyslexia Discussed we chatted about how dyslexia impacts our relationships with our romantic partners.
We had three key takeaways:
1. Our partners often see our mistakes, but don’t often see our strengths.
2. We don’t get recognition for the things that are hard for us but easy for others.
3. We use the phrase “it’s because I am dyslexic” as a catch-all. It is often too cumbersome to explain why we work the way we do.
A few tips we liked:
1. Save hard/big conversations for the morning when your brain is less fatigued.
2. Communicate why you have created the systems you have.
3. Find tools/technology that can better help you and your partner manage tasks together.